Tuesday, March 1, 2016

24 Days of British Culture: Day 23 - Greetings and Goodbyes

We found it quite unusual when we were first asked, "you alright there?"

This translates to lots of different meanings:

  • How are you?
  • Can I help you?
  • What's new?
  • Hi.


Similarly, "cheers" has lots of meanings as well.

  • Thanks
  • Goodbye
  • Cheers!
Some of these will take a little while to break once we get back in America.  I've found myself saying "Cheers" and "you already there?" all the time.

Finally, I've always find greetings with women a little awkward.  How well do I know them? - do I give a kiss on two cheeks?  In Switzerland, it is three kisses.  Or is it more formal and a handshake?  Does the person prefer no touching at all?  Whatever the answer, I always seem to come up on the awkward end of this one.


No comments: